I was reading an open thread on Making Light and ran across a link to
"Being Poor", a post by John Scalzi on his blog. I think I had read it back when it was originally posted, but it was just as powerful reading it again, along with the comment thread.
2 comments:
Maybe that's a definition of poor, but it's certainly not poverty and isn't as all bad or hopeless as that guy makes it sound. I think I've done just about everything on that list that didn't involve single parenting or urban crime and my life's been pretty great.
I don't think he's trying to make it sound bad or hopeless, just trying to capture the things that people who haven't been in those positions don't think about. If you read down into the comments, he's actually from that background and his life is pretty great as well. :)
Post a Comment