Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Spam

I got a good laugh - I'm up late working and checked my gmail folder. Hey, one spam message. Lottery thing. Ok, it's spam. Delete! Wait a sec... the normal spot for advertisements is...

Spam Vegetable Strudel - Bake 20 minutes or until golden, serve with soy sauce

Hey! Does it always do spam recipes for the spam page? :) Anyways, pretty funny. I actually get very little spam at the gmail address, mostly because I never give that one out much.

6 comments:

Mason said...

That's extremely amusing.

I've actually gotten some more spam lately, so hopefully the filters will catch up to this latest business soon.

willowlaughter said...

I have actually noticed that before when emptying out the spam box (I hardly ever get spam in my inbox), for example, the ad right now is:

"Vineyard Spam Salad - Combine grapes, spam, peapods and onions in large bowl..."

Jenny said...

Yes, in the spam folder, you always get spam recipes. Sometimes they actually sound pretty good.

Lemming said...

I wonder if that's intentional-hard coded, or actually just emergent (intentionally or otherwise) from the advertising mechanism and the fact that such mail *does* get flagged with the label "spam", which then gets contextually searched against...

Lidarose said...

I never noticed that before. My current recipe is "FRENCH FRY SPAM CASSEROLE". Hmm, can't make that one, I've given up French Fries here lately.

Jenny said...

Lemming - I'm pretty sure that it's hard coded, because it's always recipes and never ads for spam, places to buy spam, or sites promising to stop spam emails.