Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Visibility: Limited

Though we are not in the path of any of the recent fires around LA and SD, the effects are definitely noticeable here. The air quality has been extremely poor since the fires started, and now that the winds are dying down the visibility is really poor, I think it's under a mile now easily, though I'm not a great judge of distance. Hopefully things will be under control and clearing up soon.

6 comments:

Mason said...

It seems like large portions of San Diego have basically shut down. [Many (most? all?) of the schools are down---universities and otherwise.]

Lemming said...

Not only that, but on a few days, there was noticable ash floating around on the air -- not a lot, but enough that, say, if you were eating lunch at the Red Door patio, you'd see specs floating by / onto your food once in a while.

Oh, and the "holy smokes!" sunset we had on... Tuesday I think?

Lemming said...

Err, sorry, "not only that" seems really trite after Mason's comment. That's what I get for half-reading and commenting under sleep-dep. Whee!

willowlaughter said...

I wasn't noticing the smoke as much yesterday morning, but when the plane took off and doubled back over the LA area, I could not see any of the city/houses/area at all. There was a cover of smoke.

Lemming said...

The visibility changed a lot yesterday. In the morning it was a little hazy, around noon is was as if a cloud settled over us (massive ick), and then by about 5:30 we had blue skies again. Pretty much whenever the winds shifted.

Jenny said...

Curtis's football game got canceled due to the bad air quality.