Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Frisbee Day, pt 2

Sadly, this thursday was the mark of no more frisbee days til the sun decides to stay up later at night. Just not enough light so we weren't getting enough people showing up, and even with people showing up there wasn't that much time to play until it got really dark. Except for two weeks ago when someone brought a lighted frisbee (battery-powered), which actually worked pretty well as it made it easier to see the frisbee than it was to see anyone else. Anyways... there are still some games on saturday morning, but as I am not likely to wake up voluntarily at those times, I suspect I won't be playing much until next spring.

3 comments:

Mason said...

On my 3rd day here, I found someone who plays with a group Saturday morning somewhere that is about a 20 minute drive away. That is so not going to happen. Saturday morning is just not the time I want to be doing this, even though I really would like to play.

Interestingly, it is thus far not getting dark appreciably earlier than it is in the US, though this will change over the next few weeks.

wren said...

Once upon a time (nearly a decade ago), Caltech's Ultimate community moved to an indoor game in the winter, the cause of many winter injuries in Blacker.

Mason--I hear good things about the Oxford University team--they might have contacts for more local practices, or even a team of hangers-on, since I assume you're not eligible for University Ultimate, not being a student--who would use University facilites or near-in fields. I see they have college teams, which you might very well be able to join. Somerville's co-ed these days, isn't it?

I wish I had bought one of the Flashflight discs when I had the chance. Guess I'll have to pick one up next time I'm in the states.

Mason said...

The person I met was one of the mathematicians in Somerville. I don't know how good he is, but the practice he mentioned wasn't for the university team.

I did see a couple of others tossing a frisbee one time in Somerville, but I was in a rush to go somewhere, so it wasn't time to join in. They looked competent but were definitely not experts.

The lack of university eligibility already manifested for ping pong, though the people on the team are really good (and definitely much better than I am, even though some of them had trouble with my serve), so I'm at a lower level than the team anyway.

Somerville's been co-ed since 1994. I don't know if we have a frisbee team. (Here not only are the undergrads affiliated with a House/College [which play analogous roles] but so are the grad students, postdocs, and nearly all faculty and visitors. So one of the popular questions is... you guessed it... "What College are you in?" It's amusing how much I've gone full circle, though this is more like the House system on crack.

I think crew is one of the Somerville sports of choice, and I know it has a popular foosball club (and I think Somerville actually has a foosball team that plays against the other Colleges). I forgot about the others for Somerville per se, but I find it amusing to look at the sports pages of the student newspaper to see highlights of inter-College badminton (which is apparently also a big sport here). [I'll be blogging about the College system and the wacky sports here at some point. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.]

OK, I let myself get sidetracked quite a bit there.