So, I got to play some Team Fortress 2 tonight. Totally awesome. Easy to get into, hard to master. I played around as a Heavy Weapons Guy (immortalized
here) mostly, and had lots of fun. One of the best features happens when you die: it waits a few seconds, and then does a snapshot of the person that killed you, in their current state. Sometimes helpfully labeling things in the view, and usually offering an encouraging tip. If you keep dying to the same person, they become your Nemesis! Complete with an icon over their head whenever you spot them, and a glorious revenge bonus should you kill them. In fact, as I found out while dying horrible on the two forts map, you can have multiple at the same time! Nemeses! I got up to about 3 before a glorious run with a pair of medics healing me managed to drop the number back down. It adds a whole new dimension to the choice of targets. :) Later in the game, I swapped to a spy, snuck around and specifically went for my nemesis on the opposing team. Very satisfying to get the backstab.
Anyways, here's one of the screenshots of my death as a heavy weapons guy. Be warned, somewhat graphic death/blood shown along with the phong-shaded cartoony models.

And one more screenshot. Sometimes, when you die, you get rewarded with a shot of who got you that looks like this:
2 comments:
Quick note: I couldn't find a good definition for 'nemesis' that actually included the plural. Thus the title and usage of 'nemeses' as the plural may be entirely a Mystery Men reference and not actually real grammar/spelling. If you happen to find a good reference for the plural, link it here. :)
I think the nemesis idea is an excellent one. It's something a lot of people do informally anyway, so it's awesome that the game gives you bonuses for seweet revenge like that.
The plural for nemesis works exactly as you used it. Here's a link. I think it's just much more common to think of a single entity.
Post a Comment