Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday Best

I was pondering today how wearing different clothes can affect my outlook. I only have a small sample set for what things can make me feel differently. For example, yesterday and today, the particular t-shirts I was wearing have this effect: yesterday I wore the "I Survived Barrens Chat" t-shirt, which is a World of Warcraft reference, today the Final Fantasy concert t-shirt. The common theme is not actually the one which causes any perspective change, rather it's that both shirts are actually the right size (in that they fit snugly but not too tightly), as opposed to my usual t-shirts which are two sizes too large.

I feel a lot more self-conscious when wearing these t-shirts, as it is a lot more obvious that I'm pretty much a stick figure. Sometimes I also feel sexier when wearing them, but that comes and goes pretty much evenly with the self-conscious bit.

Maybe I'll expand on this topic some time, it seems fairly interesting.

4 comments:

willowlaughter said...

ok, this has nothing to do with your post - although I find the subject of clothes/fashion completely intriguing - my question is this:

when do you and your lovely wife arrive back in Pasadena on Tuesday?
Anyhow, I'll call you tomorrow (or Lorian...:-) )

It's quite fascinating how profound an effect the clothes we wear has upon us.... hmmmm...

Travis said...

Sometimes I think girls check me out more often when I'm wearing my Sleater-Kinney shirt (which does fit me well). On the other hand it could just be that the design on the shirt is eye-catching. I think it's a standard American Apparel t-shirt so I could test this by buying a blank one and seeing if the effect still holds.

Or it could be that Sleater-Kinney is intrinsically hott.

Mason said...

Z: You're too sexy for your shirts, huh?

I greatly prefer wearing oversized t-shirts. I just feel more comfortable in them.

And snidewear is also absolutely key... (OK, so I just invented that term, as far as I know. I'm sure one can improve on it.) Well, the shirts I wear need not be snide, but I definitely like those that either show an affiliation about which I care or somehow show my personality (or, in some cases, accomplish both tasks).

Lidarose said...

Okay, so would the solution be to wear t-shirts that are only one size too big? :-)

I definitely think which clothes I wear affects how I feel.