Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sharing Knife

I finished reading _The Sharing Knife: Legacy_ today. The first book I had read a while back, but reread it before starting this one. The author is by Lois McMaster Bujold, one of my favorites for both the Vorkosigan series and the Cazaril series (ok, I know it's not his series, but I always think of it that way and don't recall the official name).

I thought it was good, and better than the first. I hesitate the recommend these two books though, both of them started out with scenes that left me decidedly uneasy, and while the rest of the books were usually a whole lot better, the openings were still a bit weird. The characters were pretty interesting, though I thought the female main character had extremely rapid personality changes, though that's based on the odd events at the beginning and could just be me. The good part was in the world building and societies involved, the Lakewalkers were well described and interesting, and the basic premise they were built on (seeds from a mage war centuries ago spawning new mage-creatures) was well developed. I think I'd like to see more books set in the same world, but from different points of view.

Yeah, I know I haven't said what the books were actually about, but I think that's not really necessary. If you haven't read any Bujold, I'd recommend you go read _The Warrior's Apprentice_ or _The Curse of Chalion_. If you have read Bujold, you may like this new series too, though it feels different from them in a way I can't quite place.

1 comment:

jwadams said...

Hrm; I haven't gotten around to reading _Legacy_ yet. I'll have to re-read the first one. I don't remember the first scene from it very well.

I'll repeat the recommendation of Bujold books; Both the Chalion series and the _Warrior's Apprentice_ et al. are fantastic.