I've read a few books recently that I am having trouble writing longer reviews of. So here's short ones:
Accelerando, by Charles Stross. There are nine chapters, divided into three sets of three. Each set follows one main character, roughly, and each chapter is another jump in technology. Each chapter also stands alone pretty well, and I found myself trying to project what the next chapter would be like and found it impossible. But looking at previous ones it fits together perfectly how things got there, so it was a really neat effect. :)
Thirteen, by Richard K. Morgan. Based on other books by this author, I went in expecting a cool main character, an interesting plot with unforeseen twists, and no happy ending whatsoever, though it would also be a good ending. I was not disappointed on any count. The main character was cool and very interesting, the ending I expected happened about 2/3 of the way through the book and the rest was a major twist, and the ending was very good, but not exactly happy. There were also several very interesting ideas about racial/genetic identity and stereotyping, which were in the context of the story.
I seem to remember another book which I should review here, but it escapes me at the moment. It's likely Assassin's Apprentice, as I read that on the plane home from MI, but I don't recall what I was going to say about it.
2 comments:
_Rainbow's End_?
Oh yeah, that's on my list as well. :) Thanks, knew there was something I was forgetting.
Post a Comment