Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

Group Meeting - Presentation

So I gave a presentation on my simulator yesterday, including some experiments I was trying to reproduce, and also to give a tutorial on using it, to get more people using it so I get more feedback. As it turns out, I didn't have enough time for the tutorial section yesterday because there were lots of very good questions during the overview and experimental sections, which I don't really mind.

There was only one really embarrassing slide, where I managed to completely miss that I wrote one thing and meant another in two different places, and didn't see that on my read-through before giving the talk. Oh well. Other than that, it went really well, and especially nice was the new laptop - I could see on the laptop screen the current slide, the next slide, current times, all sorts of useful info, and thus I very rarely had to look at the projector or anywhere except the audience. Which is one of the keys to a good presentation, in my opinion, as I can gauge how interested people are, and how confused, pretty easily. So that worked very well, and there were a few really tough questions, but E helped me out on those when I couldn't manage them, which I very much appreciated.

Since the tutorial had to be postponed, I gave it instead this afternoon. There was again a really good turn-out for it (the room was full both times) and it went over well even though the material here was a lot drier. Hopefully I'll have a bunch more people working with the simulator soon. :) Also, afterwards I got lots of compliments on both presentations, and E. even said he was very impressed with them. So I'm pretty happy today that everything went well. :)

2 comments:

Mason said...

Nice!

I gave you some comments in person, so I won't repeat them here. (Plus, I want to read a bit and I'm already starting to get tired.)

One thing to add is that while tutorial sessions can be try, they are typically extremely useful. Sometimes one just needs to see the gory details.

Lidarose said...

Excellent! I'm glad your talks went well and were well received