Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mood Swings, part 2

But then there are also some days where I can't seem to shake certain moods, no matter how I concentrate. They feel like I just have to figure out the core of the problem and then they'll go away, but concentration can't do that, and sometimes I don't even know what the problem is.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

My "classic" defense to this sort of mood was to hide -- be it videogames, anime/other TV or finding something else sufficiently distracting to do with friends. Didn't always work though, and it eats up lots of time. I still do it sometimes, but I've found a better way to deal (long-term, at least).

There's the being bothered that comes with the bad mood, and there's the being bothered/pissed at yourself *because* you're in a bad mood. The latter I've learned to have some control over -- I try to be more forgiving of myself for being in the bad mood to begin with, and just accept it. I'm not sure how much sense I'm making...

I think this has been good for me because I tend to make bad moods much, much worse (and self-sustaining) by getting pissed at myself for letting the bad mood get to me in the first place. By finally getting over that (sometimes, at least), the moods pass much more quickly, and come far less frequently as an added bonus. Yay!

They still come, mind you. But the frequency with which I feel the need to hide in my room and have a good cry has diminished greatly.

I'm also getting better at the other half, though it's going more slowly. Not being so pessimistic about good moods that I get into a bad mood just by expecting (knowing) that it's bound to end soon (and badly!).

Mason said...

What I do to combat bad moods (or roll with them) depends on what type of bad mood it is (depressed, angry, whatever) and whether or not I feek that there's any way for me to deal with the root cause. My desire for escapism (via movies or twitch games) certainly increases in many of these situations and other times I just do work because I figure if I'm not going to enjoy myself, I might as well at least get stuff done to free up some of the times when my mood is better to do something other than work. If it the mood is related to stress, going to a cafe to sip a latte and read for pleasure also becomes paramount (and if it's work-related stress, then doing work also amounts to dealing with the problem). Whether or not I want to be with friends or by myself during the mood varies a lot.