Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

AFK

So, you may have noticed that I haven't updated the blog in what, 5 days? If not, please continue to not notice, I'll feel better about it perhaps.

If you did notice, well... I was out of town for the weekend, and been having trouble writing anything I think is interesting. More accurately, I keep thinking of interesting things, but not while my computer is available and thus they get lost into my poor memory.

I'm writing this just fifteen minutes before a group meeting, and I'm a bit nervous. I've presented on some of this before, but not with the new computer and not with all this material about experimental data. But I've done what I can, so just writing here as a form of distraction.

Anyways, all I want to say here really is that I'm sad there were no updates since saturday, and if you check back in, you may see me add a little something to each of the missing days, just so there is something there. Right now I'm thinking of just writing about the wedding for sunday, and maybe a bit about the traveling for monday, and the rest I'll just play by ear. I have some various thoughts on money and savings, plus various books I've read that I'd like to write about, so I think it will all be filled, just may take a bit.

12 comments:

Mason said...

Isn't there also the post you've been gearing us up for?

In terms of remembering stuff to blog about (or stuff in general, as the case may be), the trick I use is to e-mail myself with a brief comment about what it is if I am in front of a computer or to write it on a handy napkin if I don't (and I know I'll have one of those around!).

On a couple of occasions, people have seen me writing stuff on napkins (including some short mathematical calculations, though more often things like the name of a song I want to download) and asked me if I wanted paper. But why would I want to use paper when I have napkins available?

Anyway, the serious version of the above is just to write yourself a short note when it comes to blog ideas that can't be implemented immediately.

Mason said...

"if I don't" --> "if I am not in front of one"

Lemming said...

I noticed the lack of posts, but also knew about the out-of-town-ed-ness, so I figured it was forgivable.

Not immediately posting things, but leaving them either in open tabs or an email to myself is one of the only checks I have on myself when it comes to making blog posts, though perhaps it works too well. I let it stew for a day or two, and if I still think it blog-worthy, I might post it. A lot of good things end up just getting lost/forgotten this way, and a lot of other things don't get posted because they've been covered ad nauseum on Boingboing/Warrenellis//./etc by that point.

Eh.

Zifnab said...

Yeah, that post is still forthcoming. I forgot the camera when I went on the trip or I might have been able to get the images off it to do the post.

I get very frustrated with the paper/napkins solution as writing down what I was thinking about is so slow compared to the speed I'm thinking it at, that I lose track and get frustrated. Typing I at least come close enough to thought speed that it doesn't bother me as much.

Mason said...

I tend to write in a sort of shorthand on napkins. I can typically recover my thoughts with enough blows to the head. (If it's a snarky line I want to remember, then I will write down the whole thing, but usually it's not important to have it exactly.) I only make the stuff verbose when I am doing it for real. :) I do get frustrated when the napkin I'm using tears (or has soaked enough liquid that it's really hard to write on), but otherwise this seems to work well enough for me.

I suppose that there is a bit of an analogy with waiters taking orders, except that nobody needs to reconstuct what I write except for me.

Lanth said...

I do the same trick Mason uses: I don't write actual sentances, just a series of single words that will later remind me what I was thinking of. Unlike Mason, however, I carry around an actual bound notebook; that way I never lose something written on a post-it that's fallen on the floor.

Travis said...

There's a great Pinback song called "AFK".

When I write notes to myself it's usually just a two or three word reminder. I sometimes carry around index cards for this purpose. (I hate writing on napkins, they tear too easily.)

Lidarose said...

I was puzzled on a visit awhile back by Mason's large and varied napkin collection! He is a man of many ideas, so needs many napkins... mystery solved.

Lemming said...

Lidarose -- most of them are blank, so what does that tell us?

Mason -- :P

Zifnab said...

Lem: That there's lots of ideas yet to come? Or maybe there's a joke in there somewhere about writer's napkin (as opposed to writer's block), but if so it's not appearing to me.

Mason said...

Well, now the whole thing has become a meme, so I feel like my audience expects it of me.

The napkins that get used for notes are the ones when I am not at home. (When I am home, I can just go right to my computer.) So I suppose that the ones you see at home are just the dregs, ahtough (as I mentioned) I now feel that I am simply expected to keep a napkin collection in my home and office (I had one there too until I cleaned out my stuff).

More seriously: As for ideas, my current problem is a lack of time to write them rather than lack of ideas. I expect that this will always remain the problem, as besides the research papers I am working on (which tends to always be several simultaneously), I have several review and expository articles I want to write, a second non-academic book currently in progress, multiple textbooks and monographs I want to write (in each case, however, I plan to wait until after make a relevant set of lecture notes for classes), and so on. I haven't yet figured out what I want to do with my first novel, but I do intend to write one eventually.

Maybe I should have just autographed napkins instead of copies of my book?

I think Weird Al said it best: "I'll be mellow when I'm dead."

Or perhaps the blank napkins at home should just be viewed as tabula rosas?

Lidarose said...

I was thinking perhaps you had written in invisible ink... or were providing material for your guests to write their notes on...?