Mood swings are curious things. For no good reason I can think of, there was a period of about an hour today (sunday) where I was just really happy and bouncy. I think I probably could have thought about it and stopped that feeling, but wouldn't really want to so instead just sorta went with that emotion rather than thinking too much, and it was nice.
Do others feel that sometimes? Can you change your emotions by concentrating? I know I can usually think/concentrate and return to a neutral emotional state, but changing it away from neutral is very hard just by concentrating.
2 comments:
Yeah, I can usually dampen whatever mood I'm in by concentrating on being calm and neutral. I can also usually intensify it (depending on the mood) just because I know which of my own buttons to push (by dwelling on certain aspects of the situation). But changing to a completely different mood (just by thinking) usually isn't possible.
If I am determined to adjust my mood, I will usually reach for musical assistance; certain albums are associated with particular moods and mainly get played when I'm feeling appropriately. Set Yourself on Fire by Stars is especially potent emotionally, and tends to intensify whatever mood I'm in when I listen to it.
There are actually times I try to dampen my mood to make it neutral. Namely, I can't really get work done if I'm too giddy, so if I really need to get stuff done, I'll focus and the giddiness won't be on the surface.
If I'm in a bad mood, I'll naturally try to get out of it.
I definitely play music to suit my mood, but I don't know if it noticeably adjusts it. Certain songs will just feel right at a certain point (and I may not realize it), so if one of them plays unexpectedly, that will effect a change.
Also, sometimes my mood will suddenly swing in one direction or the other simply from a sudden pieces of news or a revelation (or even an epiphany).
Post a Comment