Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pretty Pictures

Not much has happened today. At work today we had a huge amount of moving of desks and computers, so that we would be set to use the new rooms and also have a secondary room with a nice table (Currently we only have the conference room and the table in the hallway). This meant that I didn't actually get much done before playing frisbee, because there was always another computer that needed to get shut down, and I'm one of the few people that know how to check to see if there's still processes running on the computer, and also have sudo privileges to shut down the computers that have no visual interface. I've taught people how to check if others are using the computer, but it never seems to stick as I still get this type of request all the time.

Today at frisbee we had a new player in the sense of never having thrown the frisbee much. He had a really bad backhand throw, but it was due to a simple mistake: holding the disc with both hands, the trailing hand stayed on the disc as it was tossed and it consistently would dive to one side. After seeing this a few times to be sure he wasn't doing it intentionally, I worked up the courage to go ask if he'd like a few tips. He seemed quite happy to listen, so I just pointed out how to throw the backhand without using the second hand, explaining why, and then we went back to throwing in the circle (a standard warm-up before playing). Teams came up quickly after that and we started the game, but there were several subs on each side, so I sat out the first few points to toss with the new guy, and he quickly got the hang of it and was throwing a lot better when we entered the game. That really was the payoff for me, he seemed really receptive to advice, and when he took it he got a lot better at the throwing.

Finally, back at home we moved desks and computers a bunch too. This seemed pretty familiar, we set up the desk G+P gave us, and started moving the computers around to better space them out. I'm still not happy with my computer's set up, but I'll figure it out eventually. The constraining issue right now is that it needs to be near the AC or it can overheat fairly badly.

And now, since I named this post before I started writing it, and haven't actually gotten to the one small bit I was going to say, I should do so. Check out this site: GelaSkins. They make vinyl covers for iPods and MacBooks with some really neat paintings/pictures on them. My favorites were "Odaijini", and the classics "Starry Night" and "The Great Wave". Anyways, just thought these were cool enough to pass on since I know a lot of the people reading this have iPods, etc. If you like the link, thank L as she was the one who pointed it out to me.

3 comments:

Lemming said...

If you're gonna take the plunge on the GelaSkins, lemme know, I might be interested as well (discount if ordering several). I dunno yet, but they look nice.

willowlaughter said...

very pretty - I am definitely thinking about one for my ipod :-) Unfortunately the site is hanging up on me at the moment, but I did catch sight of several interesting skins.

Mason said...

The skins are cool, but I don't feel the urge to buy one. My stuff will function the same without it and I'm happy seeing the pretty pictures on the web.

That said, if I ever see something that I consider particularly awesome, I certainly have enough money in my savings to be able to splurge... :)