Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Doctor's Office

I get nervous about the doctor's office. Or the dentist's, or sometimes even the emergency room/waiting room at the hospital. I don't think it's something about the waiting room though, as it didn't happen when I went for an eye exam, or in the waiting room for a psychiatrist, which are very similar situations.

I'm not sure why it is. I haven't really had bad experiences at the doctor's, or the dentist's. And while I have had bad experiences at the hospital, it was the particular affliction I was there for that was the bad experience, not the environment. One guess I have is that maybe I'm visualizing or empathizing the pain of other patients, or imagined patients. Or maybe I'm nervous that it's going to be me that has horrible problems, rather than the usual check-up in the office which says everything is ok.

In any case, I am nervous, I'm going in to the dentist's office again tomorrow.

5 comments:

Mason said...

I don't like doctor's offices because I feel that my privacy is being invaded. (I do understand that it's necessary, but it's an invasion nonetheless.)

Zifnab said...

Nod. I don't get that at all, it's my choice to be there so it doesn't feel like an invasion at all. I don't dislike them, which is odd, they just make me nervous. Maybe not the best choice of words, but it felt right.

Travis said...

I don't get nervous about going, but (for unclear reasons) I do get shy about making appointments. It might be an extension of my general shyness about using the phone. In any case, this is why I didn't see a dentist for like four years (miraculously, I didn't have any cavities when I finally did).

Lemming said...

I'm a bit shy about making appointments (think it's the same deal, more or less), but I'm especially nervous about the dentist.

My current dentist (who I haven't seen for about two years, BAD TIM!) is actually really cool, but I had a few rough (some really rough) experiences before.

This story amuses me. When I first went in for my first checkup at this dentist, they got right to work poking around in my mouth. Suddenly, the dentist and assistant stopped and looked at me, almost in horror -- "Are you alright? Does it hurt?"

I was fine, but as a result of some, uh, previous experience, my right arm unvoluntarily tensed up, was shaking uncontrollable, and probably nearly ripped the arm off of the chair. I'd hardly noticed.

Since then it's reduced to more of a nervous twitch.

Mason said...

A nervous twitch, eh? Kind of like Chief Inspector Dreyfus?