Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Restaurant Shyness

I ran into an interesting situation in a restaurant for dinner today. We were at Indochine Palace, a Vietnamese place I like for their Pho, and we'd nearly finished the meal when the waitress brought an absolutely delicious looking dish past us and to a group sitting at a table behind us. It was some sort of crisp noodle base on a plate with vegetables of all colors heaped on top. So here's the interesting part: do I ask the waitress what the dish is, so that I can try it later?

This is a tough question for me usually, because I don't really like interrupting the waitress or calling attention to myself. In this particular situation it wasn't that bad, as I've been to this restaurant many many times and at least recognized the waitress (she is one of the ones who always remembers what I order), so I asked. It turns out it was a vegetarian dish whose name I have already forgotten, but I know the spot on the menu where it appears (in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian versions). So I'm looking forward to trying that one next time we go there and I don't really want the Pho. Unlikely, I know. :)

Anyways, what do other people think about this situation? Is that type of interaction with waiters/waitresses hard for some people but not others? I know I usually have a hard time even calling for a check.

4 comments:

Mason said...

I know I wouldn't do anything like that because I am amazingly shy.

Travis said...

Sweet, I just found out about your blog through Mason's. I am impressed that you are posting once per day so far; I have been struggling to make one per week lately (as you've undoubtedly noticed).

On the topic at hand, I tend not to be too reluctant to talk to waiters in general, but this type of question seems harder than most. I think that it seems (perhaps irrationally) to intrude upon the privacy of other diners at the restaurant--given that there's a social norm against obviously staring at the next table or eavesdropping on their conversation, one is naturally reluctant to display some attention toward them even if it's just about what they're eating.

I think few would argue that respect for privacy should be extended this far, and so at some level it's just the twisted shyness-logic that my brain invents to justify some irrational social hesitation. Nevertheless I think that's why it's especially difficult.

This post reminded me of a thought I had recently about how being shy paradoxically makes certain things easier relative to how other people experience them. I should write that up for my own, neglected blog.

Zifnab said...

I've been paradoxically putting off actually emailing people with a note about my blog, so it's good that Mason posted to his cause I suspect that'll get many of those who I'd point here anyways.

I have been trying to post every day, we'll see how that goes. I haven't really stated a goal, but I'm hoping I can keep that up for a year. Should I suddenly lack in things to say that may not occur, though.

And going back to the topic at hand, I understand what you mean about the privacy thing. I sort of feel that way sometimes, but in this case, I was impressed with how the dish looked as it passed the table, I didn't actually know who/where it was going (as they were behind me) and that helped a lot. I think if we'd been sitting next to them I'd not have been able to ask, or maybe I would have waited until we were leaving.

I wonder how many people are attentive enough to their surroundings to actually notice something like my asking about what the dish they got was? I have the impression that many people aren't as immediately or unconsciously aware of their surroundings as I think I am. (And I'm sure I don't even know the half of it compared to people like detectives, security guards, etc)

willowlaughter said...

For the record I don't know the name of the tasty-looking meal either, but I have had a vietnamese dish that sounds just like that one on another occasion at a restaurant out here on the east coast...very tasty :-)

I have also been on both the receiving and asking end of inquiries about particularly delectable menu items which have passed by...

On the other hand, it does seem to depend entirely on the situation. Perhaps the best observation to make when faced with this particular issue is the overall atmosphere of the restaurant where you happen to be at that given moment. Is it filled with many other groups of fun-loving boisterous people who welcome such queries? Is it rather a quiet restaurant where everyone keeps to themselves?

If you're ever in doubt, it seems perfectly ok to ask the server, especially if you're a regular customer.

Lastly, I'm not too familiar with the shyness, because if there's a way for me to ask while staying somewhat unobtrusive, I will.

I'm rambling...it's been fun reading your blog.

I respectfully request more pictures of the ratties!