Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Head over Heels

I spent a decent bit of time today doing some writing for work, so this post is going to be a little short today. In honor of it being a short post, I'm going to pass along a few amusing incidents with the ratties, for those interested in such things.

This afternoon I went to give Lu Bu his medicine as usual, and all the ratties were dozing off as they usually do in the afternoon. This is usually a pretty cool thing to have the dozing ratties, as one of the cutest sights is to see a rat yawn as they wake up. Today was no exception, as several rats did wake up as I fed Lu Bu his medicine. Barrick, however, managed to top all the rest in the yawn department. He meandered over to where I was feeding Lu Bu, over the ramp, poked his nose over the ramp and did a gigantic yawn as he somersaulted off the edge and down the ramp. He picked himself up on the landing below the ramp and did a quick look around to make sure he wasn't spotted, and then went back to napping. L and I were laughing at the sight, we've never seen quite that spectacular a yawn.

Rats like large objects. This seems to be a universal truth, evidenced tonight during rattie play time. L had several sheets of paper sitting on the desk adjacent to her, at some point one of these got knocked onto the floor (likely by the rats). Blue found the paper first, and immediately grabbed it and started trying to take it to the closet, where the rat cage is. Note that this is a full 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper, a lot larger than the rat, so they carry it by grabbing an edge and hopping along. Hopefully while not standing on the paper, or they have a tug of war with themselves while trying to move it. After Blue got the paper to the closet, he seemed happy and wandered off. Next up was Scotty, who found the paper by the closet and immediately decided it was a rare and wonderful object, and carried it back halfway across the room and hid it under the clothes hamper. He showed it off to several admiring rats, Lu Bu and Barrick, who came to investigate it, but eventually all three wandered off. After sufficient time had passed, though, Lu Bu came back for it and carried it off yet again, this time to behind a box on the lowest shelves in the room. So far it appears to be safely hidden there, but only time will tell if it will remain there.

Oh, and on a side note, today was our second wedding anniversary. As usual it was a spectacular day, filled with all sorts of special events and presents. (Translated: we went out to dinner at Zono Sushi, that's about it) ^^

3 comments:

Zifnab said...

Ok, so I thought the post was going to be short. *sigh*

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary! Your celebration sounds a lot like what we do.

Mason said...

Happy anniversary!

Re: yawning: I remember many years back seeing one of my friends wake up with a particularly luxrious yawn. It reminded me of how a cat might wake up. (I am saying this in a very positive light. It was awesome.) It reminded me of a description in a particular book ("Noble House", I think) of a person watching someone else wake up.) I haven't repeated the experience since then.

"Something happens and I'm head over heels." (Or I could have quoted The Go Gos instead...)