Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Rat Guide

This is a quick guide to our new rats, with a photo of each, plus special bonus pictures at the end!

This is Barrick:
He has found a quiet place to hide where none of the other ratties would dare bother him. Unfortunately, it is in the clothes hamper, and thus the humans have found him and are hoping he did not chew on any towels.

Next we have Blue:
He is checking our router settings and all the cables, making sure none of them are chewed on or otherwise rendered unusable.

Next we have Cao Cao:
Cao Cao is being a good photo-rat and is posing on my shoulder as I take his picture in the mirror. This photo shoot turned out so well that it inspired one of the later pictures.

Here we have Lu Bu:
He is clearly exhausted from keeping the other rats in line, and thus is laying down for a nap. Conveniently, this is right next to the door, so if someone should come in or out he will have a perfect chance to scoot out the door after them.

Finally, Scotty:
"It's a mirror! If I jump high enough I can see myself!" For some reason the rats really liked the mirror, I sat down near it and that caused them to investigate. While doing so, several of them tried jumping up into the mirror, as I'm guessing it looked like a ledge they could hang on to. I have no idea how I got lucky enough to take this picture.

Finally, we have some bonus pictures. These were inspired by my earlier attempts to photograph ratties in the mirror. First we have Cao Cao, who was actually quite calm and interested in that rat he saw in the mirror.

Lu Bu decided to investigate the mirror as well, but he didn't get a lift, so his view was a lot worse. Great shot of all his whiskers, though!
And finally we have a group photo, all the ratties clustered around my toes while I was working on taking pictures in the mirror. This one turned out really well, I'm not sure how I got the lighting to work, as the tones are very nice and non-flashy, but the rats are very in focus which isn't very common when not using the flash.

And that's it. I did some cropping on most of these photos, and on the first five there's obviously some changing of brightness, I was experimenting to see if it would draw attention better to the rats, while still giving an idea of their surroundings. I'm happy with some of those ones, but I'm not as sure about others, I think the effect is better used on only a few (Cao Cao, Barrick, Blue's turned out well. Not as sure about Lu Bu or Scotty's). The last ones were only cropped, they turned out good.

3 comments:

willowlaughter said...

I think the brightness cropping that you did for Scotty's leap to the mirror was also quite effective - also, I LOVED the picture of Lu Bu looking in the mirror with all his whiskers :-D

Mason said...

The pictures are very cool. (I don't usually read you rat posts, but high-quality pictures compelled me to read this one.)

AnaliaRose said...

Lu Bu had lots and lots of whiskers... That's all I have to say...