Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saturday is for... (Open Thread)

And it's time for open thread day again! Today's rough topic is your favorite music you listened to this week. :)

For me, that's a close match between many songs on _Set Yourself on Fire_ (Stars), the song _Dead On Arrival_ (Fall Out Boy), and the entire album _Black Parade_ (My Chemical Romance). I'm going to give the favorite award to the latter, because it's what got me through some tough spots this week. The first two are still great though, just didn't carry the week. :)

6 comments:

AnaliaRose said...

I think maybe the only music I've been listening to this week is the Juno soundtrack. The movie is great and the music is just as unique and fun. One of the most fun songs on the album is "Vampire" by Antsy Pants, the lyrics of which are "I am a vampire (*repeated many times*), I have lost my fangs."

My favorite song from the movie is the main theme song (in a way) called "Anyone Else But You." It is a very simple duet with a simple melody but the lyrics and the way it is performed make all the difference. The first two verses are as follows:
"You're a part time lover and a full time friend
The monkey on you're back is the latest trend
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you

Here is the church and here is the steeple
We sure are cute for two ugly people
I don't see what anyone can see, in anyone else
But you"

This song is on the album twice, once sung by The Moldy Peaches and then covered by the two lead actors, Michael Cera and Ellen Page.

Really fun music - I highly recommend it if you just want something light and fun to listen to. And the movie is awesome too!

Travis said...

Yay Set Yourself on Fire!

My most-played song this week is probably "Bag of Hammers" by Thao & the Get Down Stay Down, followed by the rest of that album. You can hear it on their MySpace page.

Also in rotation, Distortion by the Magnetic Fields, and of course, the Yeasayer album I reviewed yesterday.

willowlaughter said...

I just had my first listen today of Jack Johnson's new album "Sleep Through The Static" - it came out earlier this week, I think...

His style is very groovy, easy, and surfer boy. He does some nice things with guitar and vocals - I like his sound :-)

Lidarose said...

I've been listening to the soundtrack of "Schindler's List", which I picked up at the library (I love that music so much...) Also Arlo Guthrie's new album "In Times Like These"; and various pieces -- mostly acoustic folk and Yo Yo Ma -- on Pandora. Of all this my favorites have been Arlo's "Goodnight Irene", "You Are the Song", and "Can't Help Falling In Love", all on the new album.

Mason said...

Hmmm... another excuse to harp about how awesome Juno is. :) Well, I'll just leave it at that---you can find the details behind my harping in various places.

Right now, I am listening to Travis's "Year of the Wolf" album, which I thought I had lost but managed to find amidst a corner of one of my office boxes that I hadn't managed to unpack yet. I have also been listening to my full playlist on random--that's my usual method, though with occasional requests on my part. At my b-day party on Friday, I was introducing some of my local friends to my style of music. One of them was already been figuring me out pretty well before then (bringing up "One Night in Bangkok" and so on). Chumbawumba apparently had an extra hit in the UK that I hadn't heard of, so I ought to track that one down at some point.

In terms of other recent music, tonight I'll be seeing Alison Moyet in concert! I hope she sings some Yaz songs as well.

Lemming said...

Been listening to The Grammar Club's album. It's held up surprisingly well to the amount of over-playing it's gotten here.