I agree with Mike here, I've also noticed that that type of "yeah" and arms raised and stuff is really common in tennis (though Federer I've heard can be worse about it than others?) - over such long matches they have to maintain a pretty strong emotional high. Whereas in baseball, if you did that after a homerun, you'd get plunked your next at-bat. I think it's a difference that shows up in individual sports vs team sports - in a team sport the coach/manager keeps people running hot, in timeouts or when your team's batting, or by getting themselves tossed if the team is upset by the ump's calls. In an individual sport, there's no convenient way / external form to do that, so you see that sort of display after good points a lot more - I've noticed it in golf too, which is pretty calm (and not a directly 1v1 sport, though), they still will do the fist pump, etc, after a long birdie putt, etc.
3 comments:
That's pretty impressive! His self-congratulation afterwards was a bit less impressive. :)
I dunno, I think when you pull off a shot like that you're entitled to feel happy about it. ;)
I agree with Mike here, I've also noticed that that type of "yeah" and arms raised and stuff is really common in tennis (though Federer I've heard can be worse about it than others?) - over such long matches they have to maintain a pretty strong emotional high. Whereas in baseball, if you did that after a homerun, you'd get plunked your next at-bat. I think it's a difference that shows up in individual sports vs team sports - in a team sport the coach/manager keeps people running hot, in timeouts or when your team's batting, or by getting themselves tossed if the team is upset by the ump's calls. In an individual sport, there's no convenient way / external form to do that, so you see that sort of display after good points a lot more - I've noticed it in golf too, which is pretty calm (and not a directly 1v1 sport, though), they still will do the fist pump, etc, after a long birdie putt, etc.
Post a Comment