Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Creating Cards, part 3

It's time for the final post in this sequence: Final touches & Applying a graphics style to the card.


And we're nearly there! Here's the final card layout - I fixed up the header and actually filled in all the effects and flavor text.

Let's try a simple style on the card. I used a very basic edge style (7 pt, solid color) with a simple fill (solid fill), just to see what it would look like.

Looks good, let's go ahead with one of my final styles - this is my current style for these cards - the red chosen is the "encounter" power color for Chipchop. I can change it around though - I thinking I may want a slightly darker red here. This style is also pretty complex, especially the areas.

Given 2 minutes of random playing around, what can I come up with? Here's another styling of the same card, with some beveling on the edges and a 'glow' effect on some text to make them look inset/shadowed. See the addendum post for my original take.



And that's it! I think I'll probably touch up the card layouts some before I use this particular one - the flavor text doesn't quite fit right. Also the ones displayed here have a touch of white on the edges (they were originally built for a white background and my screen shots had a white background as well...). Hopefully the posts were interesting, at least! :)

2 comments:

Mason said...

These cards look like they took an insane amount of time to make (at least in terms of initial overhead)! Very cool! [I mostly went through the sequence of pictures in your posts rather than reading them fully---I'm rather tired, and the Dodger game is about to start.]

If you have an idea for a board game, you should also be able to use the efforts you've already made and be able to generate cards for it very quickly.

That would be a really cool project too. (The one you did is already very cool.)

Zifnab said...

Yep, the initial overhead was pretty high, but it was very useful in terms of learning how to use Illustrator and scripting.

I had the same idea re: board games, it'd be fairly easy to implement some cards for them using this framework - that's one of the reasons I ended up posting this. :)