Nyjer Morgan is a disgrace to the game of baseball and should be tossed. In the past week I've seen at least three plays where he appeared to intentionally try to hurt someone, and he succeeded at least once (separated shoulder).
In addition to my above comments, I have since found out that he apparently threw a ball at a fan's face to injure them and has yelled obscenities at fans in recent games. I suspect he seriously needs some therapy and has no business playing baseball with his current aggression. To be clear, I have no problem with people playing aggressively in a sport in and of itself, but when the goal is to hurt people it's crossed a line - that's not playing hard. For reference, one of my favorite players in football is Hines Ward, who by all accounts plays very aggressively, very hard working - he's known as one of the best blocking wide receivers in football. But I believe there's no intent to injure behind his aggression and hard play on the field - a marked difference from Nyjer Morgan's recent play.
Morgan's recent behavior has definitely been rather bad. Some of the various announcers I have heard discussing him have stated that this extreme level of behavior was new for him, though I don't know if that's actually true.
I think he'll end up getting a longer suspension than usual, but these things are typically just slaps on the wrist unless PEDs or (gasp!) gambling are involved. It would be good to strengthen such punishments (in a manner more than the trivial one we're going to see here) when it's clear that an incident is not just isolated.
2 comments:
In addition to my above comments, I have since found out that he apparently threw a ball at a fan's face to injure them and has yelled obscenities at fans in recent games. I suspect he seriously needs some therapy and has no business playing baseball with his current aggression. To be clear, I have no problem with people playing aggressively in a sport in and of itself, but when the goal is to hurt people it's crossed a line - that's not playing hard. For reference, one of my favorite players in football is Hines Ward, who by all accounts plays very aggressively, very hard working - he's known as one of the best blocking wide receivers in football. But I believe there's no intent to injure behind his aggression and hard play on the field - a marked difference from Nyjer Morgan's recent play.
Morgan's recent behavior has definitely been rather bad. Some of the various announcers I have heard discussing him have stated that this extreme level of behavior was new for him, though I don't know if that's actually true.
I think he'll end up getting a longer suspension than usual, but these things are typically just slaps on the wrist unless PEDs or (gasp!) gambling are involved. It would be good to strengthen such punishments (in a manner more than the trivial one we're going to see here) when it's clear that an incident is not just isolated.
Post a Comment