Ok, I know I'm getting old. I just read a news story about the Carolina Panthers - they came to Charlotte about when I was leaving and so I've never actually been to one of their games. The news story was about one of their players, who also happens to be one of my favorite football players - he is still playing, and has been with the Panthers every year of their existence [16 years now]. Can you name that player?
Speaking of playing sports when old, one of my favorite baseball players was Julio Franco. Never spectacular [okay, I lie. That home run into the pool was amazing]; but man was he in shape and always hustling! He's got nearly all of the age-related records - oldest player to hit a home run (which he then topped a few times), etc, but nearly as impressive is that he's one of only 3 players to top 4200 hits in their career (major, minor, international play) - the others are Pete Rose and Ty Cobb [I suspect Ichiro may get there, maybe?]. Other amusing trivia: he went 20 years between starts at 3rd base. He was the 6th batter Roger Clemens faced in his career, and when they faced off in 2007 they were the oldest batter/pitcher pair [combined ages] since 1933. [So, when did he first face Clemens? That would likely be 1984, when Clemens debuted in the major leagues for the Red Sox. Franco first played in the majors in 1982.] While it's likely just a myth, there's reports that his registered birth year of 1958 may be incorrect - it could be as early as 1954!
5 comments:
I had a seat near the dugout when I was living in Atlanta, and man Franco is just ripped.
He did have a couple of years that were arguably spectacular, and he was certainly very good for a very long time.
Ichiro will get there... Also, Derek Jeter might, though I'd need to see how many hits he had in the minors. Jeter is aging pretty fast these days.
Yeah, he's crazy. I actually looked up a bunch of his stats and stuff because I was thinking about it and man, he had some amazing years. So yes - very good for quite a while, just my personal experience watching him was when he went to the Braves in 2001, and he was always good there but not nearly as amazing stats as earlier in his career. Still a real joy to watch play - I love players who give it all the effort to stay in top physical shape [why yes, I don't like the DH much, why do you ask?].
I am ok with the DH because it allows great hitters like Jim Thome to keep playing. I actually am pleased that the two leagues are different, as I like having both options available.
Oh, I like that the two leagues are different, I just think the NL is way better. :) I'm only vaguely interested in the great hitters who end up DH-ing; I've never really found it as interesting to watch the pure hitters as the ones who are more well rounded. Something about the DH getting less appearance time than even the pitcher just makes it seem like cheating in that regard.
Anyways... NL finally won the all star game, woo! :)
I am also happy that the NL finally won the All Star Game. The AL still seems to be the stronger league overall, but hopefully the balance is starting to shift again.
Post a Comment