An unfortunately named company: Prudential Overall Supply
Seen on a truck delivering what presumably was overalls to a building near Broad, the initial letters of each word were prominently highlighted in orange.
In other news, I glanced at a "top 20 internet acronyms" thing recently, and found out that POS actually stands for Parent Over Shoulder. Oh. Well, maybe the company isn't that unfortunately named, it's just weird.
Speaking of the acronym I had been thinking of, what's probably old news to anyone still reading here is that George Carlin recently died. I was reading CNN's webpage the same day and there was a poll: Did you find George Carlin's work (choose one:) a) funny, b) offensive.
I think the poll is missing the point. At least speaking for myself, it was both, and it varied along the spectrum as to which one was predominant for each sketch. But it certainly wouldn't have been the same without both components.
1 comment:
One of the ChemE groups at Tech had a machine that was purposely given the acronym POS as a double entendre. I don't remember what the official reported (in journals) backronym was, but I vivivly remember which backronym the grad students who named it had in mind...
According to Carlin's NT Times obituary, his early work was along the lines of Jerry Seinfeld (and was apparently quite successful, though not with the audience to which he felt connected) before he changed his act to the familiar one. He was probably my favorite comedian.
Post a Comment