Yet another sign that Harmonix realizes what people want: Rock Band 2 will support and let you play all previously downloaded content from Rock Band, and not only that, DLC is compatible either way (press release, Q&A).
This is a great step forward! I've nearly doubled the number of songs we have for Rock Band via downloaded songs, and throwing those away to play a new game is just a bad deal. They've also announced that while they are making new instruments, the old ones work just fine with Rock Band 2, and the new ones are just improving them - another great advance, if the new ones are incrementally better, I like having the option to buy them, but being able to use my current ones is even better. Being forced to buy new instruments to play the game is bad.
Incidentally, these two components are my biggest reasons for disliking Guitar Hero's entry into the vocal/drums arena. If they stuck to guitar-only games, I'd likely still pick up new releases, but needing to buy a whole new drum set and not having my old DLC/songs from GH is a big energy barrier to purchase. Rather than dwell on that, however, let me say Yay for Harmonix's approach, and when I get home it's time to download more songs in celebration.
I'm thinking Jimmy Buffett ("Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise", just because...), Weezer's new set of three songs, and maybe some of the songs from the Pixies album that got released. I'm also ready for some of the songs Offspring announced, but they haven't been officially given a release date - "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)", "Self Esteem", "The Kids Aren't Alright".
1 comment:
My favorite song on Doolittle (the Pixies album in question) is "Mr. Grieves". From a gameplay standpoint it's only about 90 seconds of interesting music though.
Post a Comment