Pages

Friday, November 30, 2007

Sunset

I saw this today outside the apartment as I was walking home. I thought it deserved a picture. It rained today, our first in a long while, and so the rainy season has started.That's from the corner where we live, looking down Cordova to the west.
This is from the crosswalk shown in the previous photo, same direction. I tried some without the flash and they actually turned out a lot worse - everything looked really washed out. Sort of weird that it had the opposite effect. The flash did make the signs look a lot cooler in these, but it was really the colors on the horizon that I liked. Sadly, they'd faded a little by the time I grabbed the camera, and even as I was taking pictures the effect was vanishing.

4 comments:

Lidarose said...

I've had that same thing happen with sunset photos. It always looks better in person... but because of my experience with that, I can imagine that this was a really lovely sunset!

Mason said...

The rainy season has started here as well. Actually, it's going off and on. The sky looked nice and bright blue this morning, but it was raining reasonably substantially as the students were taking their stuff out of the dorms. (Today is the day after the end of term for them -- sadly, my workload hasn't dropped precipitously the way theirs has -- and they basically have to leave already unless they get prior permission. They're quite anal about that because we need the rooms for the students coming here for their interviews.)

Lemming said...

You might look into either taking photos in RAW or multiple exposures at different settings, and check up on digital HDR photography techniques. Part of the problem has to do with the huge variation in luminosity of something like a sunset, making it hard to capture without looking washed out or over/under-exposed at some point.

With HDR techniques (and a lot of work), you can end up with photos like these:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=HDR

HDR photos are gorgeous. ;;

Mason said...

Lemming, many of those pictures on the other side of the link are awesome!