Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Darkness

There's something about the season change that has got me depressed. Sorry for not writing much, nothing has been coming to mind and I've been in an avoiding people sort of mood.

L thinks it may have something to do with the amount of light out, as she noticed a similar thing last winter. This could be it, though in a lot of cases I operate better when it's dark, there are some things that it needs to be light out for and it gets annoying when it's dark then as well.

10 comments:

willowlaughter said...

There have been studies that link depression to daylight - or lack thereof...

Who knows. I tend to thrive on daylight, so I know the darkness is definitely affecting me adversely. *sigh*

Mason said...

If the darkness keeps bothering you, may I humbly suggest that you attack it? (Preferably by casting magic missle...)

By the way, the suicides at Cornell would always peak immensely during the gray-sky months. (Ithaca can have several months in a row in which the sky is never blue.) This is not a coincidence and is very much in line with your comments.

Travis said...

Yeah, winter depression is a real phenomenon, called Seasonal Affective Disorder.

When I moved to my current apartment (which doesn't get much daylight at any time of the day) from my previous one (which admitted a lot of sunlight), I exhibited depressive symptoms for a while. There were other factors at work, but I think the light was part of it.

Lemming said...

Makes sense, but who was the smartass who named it "Seasonal Affective Disorder".

Especially for those of us who live slightly later schedules, "daylight savings" really just means "saving the daylight for when we're asleep". Bah. Can someone invent a special kind of glass that can slow down the speed of light to something around 1e-12*c (I'll do a better approximation later, I was going for order-of-magnitude-of-order-of-magnitude)?

Mason said...

Lemming: The quantum field theorists would be proud of your estimate.

Lemming said...

Assuming a 2mm-thick window, you'd need a material that slowed light to roughly 2e-15*c to compensate for daylight savings.

Off by a factor of 500, I can live with that.

Lemming said...

Oh, wow, I've been totally forgetting about the consequences of a refractive index like that...

The slightest imperfection in the surface would result in massive aberration...

Mason said...

Being off by a factor of only 500 would be much better than what the quantum theorists can do. I've seen a couple of papers (justifiably, actually, because of how hard to took to get there) that were happy to be within 10^6. Of course, there were a lot more factors of 10 where those came from...

Lidarose said...

Ah, here we have further proof that "It's all math!"

Lidarose said...

Oops, I mean "further evidence"...sorry