Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Drums (Part 2 of N)

So, in the last post you saw the results of my ripping apart the Rock Band drum kit, plus the extra MIDI hardware. This post we get to take a look at the black box that everything's going into so that it's not strewn about all over the place. It certainly works that way, but this should be much nicer.

First up, we have the main box:
I've installed the MIDI port as you can see on the left, and most of the holes have been drilled, though as it turns out I needed two more on the bottom as my measurements were horribly wrong. I don't know how I was off by 1 cm twice and didn't catch it, but that's what happened.

Here's the completed box bottom, with everything hooked up. The wrapped cable (with convenient ethernet/RJ45 jack) attaches to a similar port that's on the box top. That way it's fairly easy to remove the top if needed, without having to undo every single wire.
Note the hole at the top, that's for the USB cable from the RB drum kit controller to the XBox. It just barely fits through, and I haven't figured out a good way to brace it so that tugs on the cable will transfer to the box rather than the circuit board. It looks like there's an angle brace I can set up, but the only way I can see to secure it right now is via epoxy, a bit annoying as it would make the top non-removable.

Here's the top (underside view):
Yep, those are balsa wood strips. They're covering up holes between the controller and the top, so that the epoxy doesn't drip down (much). The top was roughly measured, and cut via jigsaw. It wasn't very accurate, but I don't mind as it should be easy enough to paint up, and it's more about the functionality. The epoxy has fully set now, so it's pretty solid. The other side has all the buttons. They seem to work fine, though one or two feel a tad bit off. Note that the two unsoldered wires haven't been reattached yet. Soon!

No comments: