Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

Baseball Marathon

This is the companion post to the other one today. As the Angels game was finishing, I was watching scores from the other games. The Braves had won 8-0 (yay!), and most of the games were completed, except one: Colorado vs San Diego, which was tied 0-0 in the eighth inning. Jake Peavy was starting for the Padres, and Jeff Francis for the Rockies, so I figured it had been a pitcher's duel.

Cut to arriving back in Pasadena, chatted with M^2 some, and then headed home. I got on the computer to catch the highlights from the Braves game. Whoa, the Rockies game is still going!

It was (I think) the 16th inning at that point, and tied 1-1, the only runs coming in the 14th. Wow. I put the game on and watched the rest of it. 17th inning. 18th inning. Lots of baserunners, no scoring. To cut a long story short, the game went to 22 innings, the Rockies managed to score a run in the top of the inning, and it looked like the Padres had a chance to score one in the bottom until their running was erased by a double play.

The game set all kinds of records for both teams, and stuff like longest game since 2003, etc. The write-up of the game is here on ESPN, and has a more comprehensive list. Among the funny stuff that happened (after midnight) were the mentions for the postgame show, and cuts to the two guys who were going to do the postgame show, sleeping on their desk, playing table football, reading blogs, etc. On the slightly less funny side, the workers who had to clean up the ballpark were sleeping in the upper deck, waiting for the game to finish so they could finish up and go home. Guess they weren't counting on such a long game, I really hope they get paid overtime/hourly rather than per-game.

2 comments:

Mason said...

Interesting things usually happen in these really long games. I was hoping to see some position players pitching in the box score, but both teams seemed to avoid that. By the way, Jake Peavy is an incredibly awesome pitcher.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.