Just a quick post tonight, for I still need to work on the presentation some (it's tomorrow at 1:30pm).
Tonight's dinner was at a restaurant called the Louisiana Bistro, a few blocks away from Canal and Bourbon streets in New Orleans. Pretty small place, wasn't crowded and the group I was with had made reservations. The menu was very simple: five entrees plus today's special (which I didn't notice until leaving, so I don't recall what it was), a few appetizers and salad choices, plus a pretty large drinks list. I can't speak much about the appetizers, salads or drinks, as I didn't have either of the first two, and while I did have a coke, it was pretty normal. Most of the rest of the table had a red wine which was apparently pretty good, I had a dash so as to not be without something to toast with, but was glad it was only two sips worth as it had a weird aftertaste in the throat (but maybe that's normal? I dunno).
I got the entree called "Surf & Turf", though many of the other options looked very good, I had decided that since I've had sausage/duck/etc gumbo for two earlier meals, it'd be good to have something different (though that only ruled out two entrees, the others were short ribs, which I generally don't like, and a lobster dish). This entree was listed as pan-seared filet mignon with crayfish tail scampi and served on garlic mashed potatoes. This listing did not do it justice, nor could my words, however I should still try.
I ordered the filet mignon medium rare and it was served perfectly. The presentation was elegant - the filet was served surrounded by the scampi, on top of the mashed potatoes, and there was a plentiful amount of the cook's special cajun sauce over everything. Very appealing without being spare or pretentious. The meat itself was perfect, probably the best I've had, and upon adding the sauce it was just heavenly. Spicy without being overpowering, complementary flavors in the garlic potatoes and the scampi, and just one of the best meals I've ever had.
7 comments:
I've seen "surf and turf" at a lot of places, though the actual items that are in it (not to mention the quality) varies substantially.
I don't remember seeing this restaurant when I was in New Orleans in January, but I also wasn't looking very hard.
I ended up having a hit-or-miss experience with restaurants while I was there.
Ok, now I'm really hungry... I think I'll go eat breakfast.
droooool
Oh, I went to the Louisiana Bistro website: www.myspace.com/louisianabistro
They have a photo of the Surf and Turf dish - YUM!
Mason: Understandable, it's pretty well hidden but one of the professors I was with apparently knew about it and got us reservations. For which I should thank her.
I can see the restaurants here being hit or miss for you, some of the best dishes here are really great based on their use of spicing, which I recall you tend to not like in general.
willowlaughter: hehe, sorry. ;) Oh, neat that they have a website. I did a little search when I put the post up but apparently missed it.
Anything along the lines of "how to talk Italian"?
Z: Yes, the fact that many of the dishes at the restaurants there would be have too many extracurricular materials would definitely be a big reason for my comment.
Post a Comment