Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tank Mentality, part two

So, after that long rant yesterday I had the opportunity to get another group. I should note that I was playing Virkan in the crappy group, and had switched to Thyralya for the next group as there was a real shortage of tanks. Mylanda was originally going to play as Haeberlen (discipline priest, primary healer), but when we formed the group there was a restoration shaman (also a primary healer type) who wanted to join us, so he switched to Mayaluen (hunter, dps/cc). A high level mage (67, dps/cc) wanted to join us, and a paladin (confused).

It was quickly apparent that this was an excellent group. I never had to worry about my own health, which makes it a lot easier to pay attention to situational/spatial issues with tanking. Maya was in great form, holding a single mob ice trapped easily (while still putting out excellent damage, more than the mage even), and the mage was on the ball with polymorph, sometimes even hitting mobs I'd not even marked for it that it'd be effective on. I'll only comment on my tanking to say that I think I did pretty well at it, and you can ask Maya for a more objective opinion.

A good sign of a good group is when I don't have time to type. That means that we're getting pulls constantly and there's always something to do. In this particular group, I think I paused maybe once every 3-4 pulls, and even then it probably wasn't necessary, just more of a safety precaution. The final boss of the instance, a particularly tough fight for poor groups (most can't even finish it after many tries) went down on the first try, without us even being close to a dangerous loss, or a death.

An excellent group. Now if I could just get one of those for poor Virkan. Oh well, at least he can sneak off if the group sucks. :)

No comments: