So here you have my thoughts, in the form which I [if space permits] would likely put them in a "From the Library of..." at the beginning of a book I would loan out. Comments, thoughts and stories are all welcomed; criticism aimed at anything other than making this written form of my thoughts more clear [clearer?] should be avoided. :)
Thoughts About Books
- Please treat any book like it was a treasured member of your family.
If none exist, please give this book a hug and take care of it like
you would want to be taken care of. - Much like a younger sibling, this book will probably get stains and
creases as it ages. Trying to prevent that completely is a lost cause,
but you may want to at least brush any dirt off so the next person can
still read it. - Loaning a book is a lot like having children [or at least, I think so,
not having any children]; At some point you have to let them go into
the world and experience it on their own. They may find their own way,
and they may return to you again and again. In either case your only
hope is to cherish the experience of having known them, and welcome
their return with open arms.- If you fall in love with this book and want to provide it a home,
by all means do; I ask only that you treat it kindly, and share with
me a story of how it came to your home. I worry over my lost children,
and rejoice when one makes their own way in the world. - If you lose this book and find it again, share it with others. Unlike
children, I can always buy another book; books that have been found
have many stories about them, not just within the covers, and stories
should be shared.
- If you fall in love with this book and want to provide it a home,
- While writing is a thing to be treasured, when someone reads a book they
are probably not interested in what you’ve written on the pages [unless
you perhaps wrote the book!]. If you feel the need to write in this book,
please do so here, in between the covers and before the story starts; poems,
thoughts and dreams add a story to the book, rather than hide the one
already written. - Reading a book should be enjoyable. While I only loan out books that I have
enjoyed, that doesn’t mean you always will like them, or even that I enjoyed
every single word or page. Take what enjoyment you can from each book, even
if it’s as simple as reading a paragraph and deciding that you have no
obligation to read the whole thing. Return it and someone else may find it.
Similarly, I rarely agree with everything in a book; the only thing contained
here that I agree with is what I have written here. And even that is
uncertain: just because Present me wrote it doesn’t mean that Future me
will agree. - I believe books should be shared; the stories you gain from the sharing may
come to be even more important than the story you read in the pages. I love
to hear how people experienced a book and what pieces they found interesting.
If you want to share a story about a book, please do! If there’s no-one
around to tell, please write it down and share it with me.
10 comments:
Very cool idea.
I would never want somebody writing in one of my books, though...
Yep - that's certainly one of the areas which can have widely varying opinions. I can't stand people writing on the same pages as the story, but other than that only really care specifically about a very few books. Aside from those (which I wouldn't really loan anyways, or only to people I am close to), I figure I can always pick up a new copy should I want one that's untouched. Redirecting any writing to a specific place is just a curious idea I had; I wouldn't actually mind that particular set of locations as I hardly read the blank pages anyways.
[My opinions of course may vary - I suspect some things I'd be more cautious about with full hardcovers. Still, my basic feeling is the same.]
like this! It is like you are sending out a little of YOU along with the book.
The only thing I wonder about it that it seems unclear as to whether you expect the book to be returned to you...
Have you thought about putting this onto stiff paper and making a bookmark out of it, that goes along with each book? Or maybe that was what you were going to do anyway... of course, then you'd have to change the wording a little bit...
Your Grandma L would be love this post (for that matter, come to think of it, your grandfathers and Granny too!) -- when I was little she always said to me, "Be good to your books, books are your friends!"
Neat.
Reminds me of someone with a similar love of books, but a much more mercenary approach to it, who told me, "There are two kinds of idiots: those who loan out their books, and those who return them."
Anyway, I was wondering, is there any way to trim down the size of the text? Substantially, even? Not only will this be difficult to fit on a single page, it also lies dangerously towards TL;DR territory --- which is a shame, since it's a well-composed little piece.
Maybe even boil down the essence into a couple of bullet points?
Something like (as a very rough draft):
Do:
* Read it, if you like it.
* Share it, if you think others will like it.
* Treasure it, like a friend.
* Send it home someday, because it's owner also treasures it.
Don't:
* Keep it, that's selfish.
* Abuse it, that's just mean.
* Pamper it, it's for reading not collecting.
That being said, you could/should still include the entire text, just front load the key ideas.
Wah, I spam, because I keep hitting "publish" before I'm really done thinking. Slow down, Tim!
I noticed that I deviated a bit from your actual guidelines when I wrote my summary, making it actually wrong. Oops! Sorry about that.
Lidarose: It's unclear on that regard as I am not really clear on it. The possible use case would be them being lent to someone who I don't really know, and when loaning books in that situation, I don't expect for them to be returned - what I do expect is for them to be cared for and shared, that's why I loan them out in the first place.
That's exactly what I was thinking; printing out something similar and putting it in the frontispiece of the books [before the title pages, etc], probably just inside the front cover. A bookmark is a good idea though... perhaps I should merge that idea with Lem's one and do the short short version on a bookmark...
You have certainly said that saying to us kids, too! :)
Lem: That's an awesome saying. :) I don't particularly agree with it, of course, but it's got a lot of truth to it.
I was actually pondering how to condense it to be more suitable and so that people may actually read it if I included it in loaned out books. The summary may be a very good idea combined with Lidarose's thought of bookmarks in addition to what I had originally planned: I suspect I can easily fit what I have there in a dense but clear bit at the front, and have a nice summary on a bookmark or something.
Your summary is actually pretty good for the parts where it agrees. :) I'll see if I can summarize it similarly... I think actually the biggest difference is that I tried to phrase the original mostly in terms of do's and positives, rather than don't's. So there certainly are some - I agree with the 2nd and 3rd in spirit, if not wording - but I may not have put it like that in my original text. Hmm... I do like the duality of do's and don't's though. [The 1st don't btw is not one I am worried about; someone keeping a book is not a problem if it's because they truly loved it and cherish it. If it's because they are lazy or other reasons, I would rather they didn't. I know on my part there have been some books I read and then absolutely must have them on my shelf so I can read them again, and those are the ones I treasure the most. Those are also the ones which I don't really lend out to anyone except close friends; I guess I feel that if I loaned a book out and someone loved it so much that they did want to keep it, who am I to prevent them from being with a new friend they love so much? Sure, they could buy it themselves [and some will], but if it becomes a gift that's passed on, that book gains even more. I think that's sort of what I tried to say when I was talking about keeping a book - if you can tell me a story of how it has to be with you, so that it's not just lost in limbo, that's proof enough that it deserves to be there. :)
I'm Olivia Megan from United State,I'm happy that my husband is back into my life after 2 years of divorce, Dr.AKHERE brought my husband back today and i am so excited. I got DR AKHERE email online when a lady was testifying about the strong spell caster who restored her marriage then I said to myself since he helped her, he can also help me,so i emailed him and told him the pain that I was going through,and he told me what to do and i did it,Then he did an urgent Love spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came back home and with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me. Then from that day,our marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to DR AKHERE. Our family is complete again. If you are going through Divorce/Broke-up since DR AKHERE helped me, he can also help you..email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ,Thank you DR AKHERE for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me.
Email him: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346
Post a Comment