Southern California usually manages to achieve that fabled state with respect to iced tea: it has both tea and no tea. The problem is that while there is plenty of iced tea here, there just isn't any sweet tea like I'd be able to get back home. This is a very tragic thing, and so I am reduced to having good sweet tea on trips back east, or if we manage to make it to the Chik-Fil-A that's down here but quite a ways away.
Well, today I ran into something interesting. Chandler's installed a new drink machine, and it serves tea. Naturally I dismiss it out of hand, and examine the vast array of soft drinks, juices (strawberry banana orange?) and water. These are too difficult to choose from. I add the tea machine's selections to the choices. Oh weird, it's got a selector button but one dispenser. And the choices are black tea, sweetened black tea, sweetened green tea, and something else I forgot after seeing TWO sweet tea choices. Okay, have to try it. I get the sweet black tea, it comes out a little warm (exactly right for serving onto cold ice, and for mixing the sugar into the tea). The verdict: excellent sweet tea for the LA area. The sugar dosage was a little low but within the ranges where you couldn't achieve it with sugar bags, and the brew was a lighter taste than I usually prefer, but the combination worked well. (With a stronger brew, you need more sugar to balance it.)
Verdict: It is sad, but Pasadana no longer has both tea and no tea.
5 comments:
What do you mean by "both tea." I'm probably just being dense, but I don't see what you mean.
Sweet tea actually came up in my conversation this evening. (The friend who visited me lamented not being able to get it in the UK.)
Contains two items, which are: tea, no tea.
If that's any more clear. This is actually a reference to a very old text adventure game based on The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. You had "no tea" in your inventory, but at one point you needed to have both "tea" and "no tea" in inventory, so you had to get rid of your common sense for it to be so.
The reason I used that in the post is both for the reference, and because it really feels that way, there's tea here, but no tea that I actually like. (with respect to iced tea, I like most hot tea.)
Thanks for the clarification. Now I see why I didn't catch things:
I never got very far in that text adventure (in particular, I didn't get far enough to have seen that) and because there was nothing close to as convenient as gamefaqs at the time (well, it was not readily accessible, at any rate), I ended up spending time on other Infocom games instead. I found what I was supposed to do to avoid dyning very unintuitive, so I moved on in frustration.
Who'd've thought!? I mean, didn't know anything of the sort could be found in the greater LA area.:)
When Curtis and I drove across the country and back, McDonalds was doing this amazing deal where you got a quart of sweet tea for a dollar. We'd go inside, order two teas, finish them, and refill them to continue the drive. I was crushed to discover that sweet tea was only available in certain states, but when I heard their recipe, I had to wean myself. For each 3 gallon container, they added 5 lbs of sugar. No wonder it was so good.
Post a Comment